Golden State Warriors Forum - Warriorsworld: Warriors Forum

[ Thread ] [ Post Followup ] [ Search Forums ] [ Warriors Forum ]
Jerry Zgoda: Saunders sees a relatively quiet free agency period for Wolves
User account number (aid):
512 Site Supporter
Posted by Shamrock on 2014-06-29 20:25:50

“I’m sure some people have my phone on speed dial, they know how to get in touch with me,” Saunders said. “Are we going to be very active in free agency? Probably not. I feel very comfortable where our roster is at right now.”

The Wolves’ payroll is well over the NBA’s salary cap and approaching the luxury-tax line while Ricky Rubio still needs a contract extension that can be negotiated starting Monday night.

That leaves Saunders at the moment with only the $5 million-plus mid-level exception salary slot to spend while he continues to discuss Kevin Love trade scenarios. He’s also believed to be seeking trades that would send away veteran guards Martin and J.J. Barea as well possibly as players such as Budinger and Alexey Shved.

Barring a Love trade that reshapes the roster, the Wolves’ biggest need, with Barea on the trading block, appears to be a veteran backup point guard. The league’s list of unrestricted free agents at that position includes Shaun Livingston, Ramon Sessions, Steve Blake, former Timberwolf Luke Ridnour and possibly Chauncey Billups if he decides to play one more season.

Saunders said he will not rush to spend that mid-level exception slot.

“That’s not a priority,” he said. “Right now, there are not a lot of guys who are out there. If there are not guys out there who are better than guys on our team, we’re not just going to spend it because we have it. If someone pops down and we think it’s worth it, we’ll do it.”

“We’ve got to get better within, and that starts with development and that starts now, working with players.”

"Sources say that the Warriors, in particular,
have emerged as a top contender for Love should
Minnesota relent and decide to trade him." - Stein

Thread:

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

[ Thread ] [ Post Followup ] [ Search Forums ] [ Warriors Forum ]