[ Thread ] [ Post Followup ] [ Search Forums ] [ Warriors Forum ]
Insider: ESPN Rumor Mill (Gordon rumor at top)
User account number (aid):
79 Site Supporter
Posted by SFbaybum on 2013-02-20 02:03:24

Gordon not sweating deadline
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
9:56
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com

Recommend0
Comments0
Email
Print

For the second day in a row, New Orleans Hornets shooting guard Eric Gordon said he's not sweating the NBA trade deadline.

"I don’t really get caught up to it,’’ Gordon told The Times-Picayune. "But you just never know your situation. That’s part of the process but at the end of the day, you can’t worry about that as a player. If it happens, it happens. I’m definitely not worried about it.’’

There have been reports claiming the Golden State Warriors have interest in Gordon and according to the newspaper, the Hornets are fond of Klay Thompson. A deal sending Gordon to the Warriors for Thompson and Andris Biedrins works in the ESPN Trade Machine, however both teams would probably reject it. Golden State has high payrolls the next few years and adding Gordon would likely put them over the luxury tax.

Gordon is one of the few players who can control their future this season as he has the ability to veto all trades until July 14. The collective bargaining agreement gives Gordon this power since the New Orleans Hornets matched the $58.36 million offer sheet he signed with the Phoenix Suns.

There is a chance the Hornets will consider trading Gordon in July after his veto power expires. One possible scenario could see him head to Indiana for Danny Granger in the summer. Both players need to prove they can stay healthy for the duration of this season.

Chris Broussard
Gordon on the block

"Sources: New Orleans has made Eric Gordon available for trade. Trade not likely though as clubs concerned about his health going forward."

Tags:

New Orleans Hornets, Eric Gordon, Golden State Warriors, Klay Thompson
No deal in works for Turner
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
9:48
AM ET

Recommend0
Comments0
Email
Print

ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard included Philadelphia's Evan Turner as a player on the trade market, however he's likely remain with the team past Thursday's deadline.
Bob Cooney of the Philadelphia Daily News writes: "An NBA source told the Daily News nothing is going on with Turner."

General manager Tony DiLeo has maintained he won't do anything to jeopardize the clubs flexibility moving forward and he wants to see the team get healthy before he'll consider a major trade.
Tags:

Philadelphia 76ers, Evan Turner
Could OKC move Perkins to Suns?
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
9:34
AM ET

Recommend0
Comments8
Email
Print

There has been some talk that Oklahoma City wants to deal Eric Maynor which hasn't gone far. Now we get word from Paul Coro of The Arizona Republic that the team might be looking to move Kendrick Perkins to the Phoenix Suns.

Coro writes: "Another source said there was All-Star break talk of Oklahoma City exploring Marcin Gortat and P.J. Tucker for Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb and a first-round pick."

The Suns currently have about $6.44 million in salary cap room, however they will likely only bring back players with expiring contracts to preserve their 2013-14 cap room.

Gortat has one more year and $7.72 million on his deal, while Tucker's 2013-14 minimum salary is not guaranteed.

Perkins is owed $17.63 million over the last two years of his contract. Lamb is in year one of his rookie-scale deal.

The Thunder are eager to deal Perkins as it would reduce their tax bill starting in 2013-14.
Tags:

Phoenix Suns, Marcin Gortat, Oklahoma City Thunder, P.J. Tucker, Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb
Ferry mum on Smith's future
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
9:16
AM ET

Recommend0
Comments0
Email
Print

Thursday's trade deadline is fast approaching and Atlanta Hawks general manager Danny Ferry would not directly discuss the Josh Smith rumors on Tuesday.

“We’re in a unique situation with the current roster being competitive but also having good cap flexibility going forward,” Ferry told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Like most teams, we’re evaluating ourselves and looking at the opportunities that come to us, especially this time of year. If there’s an opportunity that makes sense for us for the long-term interest of the Hawks, we’ll look at it closely.”

On Tuesday the media also spoke with Smith and the forward said he's heard nothing from Ferry about being moved by the deadline.

“I’ve just been going out and playing basketball and not worrying about anything but that,” Smith said. “... As long as I’m an Atlanta Hawk my main concern is getting wins for this team.”

Smith is being linked with Brooklyn, Boston, Houston and Dallas. According to ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard, Phoenix is likely out of the mix for the forward.
Tags:

Atlanta Hawks, Josh Smith
Redick's contract demands
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
8:56
AM ET

Recommend0
Comments4
Email
Print

J.J. Redick is set to become a free agent on July 1 and according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, his agent will be seeking a four-year, $40 million deal.

Redick is drawing a lot of interest from the Bucks, Pavers, Wolves and Bulls and the Magic may deal him by Thursday if they think the shooting guard can't be re-signed in the summer.

Redick has said he and his family prefer to remain in Orlando, but he'll move on if another team gives him an offer that the Magic won't match. Philadelphia may come hard for Redick as they need a shooter and he has a relationship through the Duke basketball team with head coach Doug Collins.

Redick will likely settle for a deal that averages $7 million.
Tags:

Orlando Magic, J.J. Redick
O'Neal and the Knicks
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
8:38
AM ET

Recommend0
Comments0
Email
Print

Jermaine O'Neal has been able to stay healthy and he is having a solid season with the Phoenix Suns. As a result, there is a good chance the Suns will cash in and trade O'Neal, who is signed to a veteran minimum one-year contract, by Thursday's deadline.

According to ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard, the New York Knicks have O'Neal on their radar.

The Knicks currently have a full 15-man roster and a player, like Chris Copeland or James White, will have to be released to make room for O'Neal or some other big they may acquire.

Boston needs to add a big man and they may have some interest in bringing O'Neal back to Beantown.
Tags:

New York Knicks, Phoenix Suns, Jermaine O'Neal
Colangelo's future with Raptors
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
8:27
AM ET

Recommend0
Comments1
Email
Print

Bryan Colangelo's contract as the president and general manager of the Toronto Raptors expires at the end of the season and he tells Sam Amick of USA TODAY that his status with the club moving forward is still uncertain. Colangelo's contract does include a club option for 2013-14.

"There's been no discussion (about his future since the trade). I certainly haven't brought it up. I think that we're, right now, transitioning with an ownership change of our own," said Colangelo. "The deal was announced probably a year and a half ago and it just closed this past summer, in terms of the change from the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan to a new group that includes both Bell and Rogers owning 37.5 percent each, and Larry Tanenbaum increasing his stake to 25 percent. The constant there is Larry Tanenbaum, and he maintains his role as chairman of the board."

Colangelo might make a trade by Thursday's deadline, however the team will likely not do anything and that includes moving Andrea Bargnani.
Tags:

Toronto Raptors
Why Warriors might deal
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
8:00
AM ET

Recommend0
Comments2
Email
Print

The Golden State Warriors currently sit $1.22 million above the luxury tax and have a full 15-man roster, so they will likely only make a trade by Thursday's deadline if they can reduce their payroll.

"Sure, in a perfect world we would like to be under the tax now," co-owner Joe Lacob told Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News via an email. "But it is not an imperative ... We have a nice mix of younger veterans and youth. We now have size and great shooting and depth. ... Bottom line: this is not about money or tax limits or whatever; this is about the ONLY thing that matters to our fans, our players and to our ownership group ... WINNING."

The Warriors can get under the tax line if they trade a combination of Kent Bazemore, Charles Jenkins, and Jeremy Tyler. The Memphis Grizzlies have plenty of room under the tax and trade exceptions to due a deal with the Warriors.
Tags:

Golden State Warriors
Miami move unlikely
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
7:33
AM ET

Recommend0
Comments2
Email
Print

The Miami Heat currently have a full 15-man roster after signing Chris Andersen to a rest-of-season contract, which likely means the team won't make a deal by Thursday's trade deadline.

"We're comfortable with what we have," LeBron James tells the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "We're confident. We're not a part of the talk of the trades before the deadline."

The Heat currently sit $14.1 million above the tax line and they could lower that amount slightly if they deal Dexter Pittman and his $854,389 salary for a conditional second round pick. Pittman's contract expires after the season and the team will likely allow him to become an unrestricted free agent beginning July 1.
Tags:

Miami Heat, Dexter Pittman
Blair's view on trade speculation
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
7:20
AM ET

Recommend0
Comments0
Email
Print

DeJuan Blair has been in the rumor mill since late last season when he lost his spot in the rotation to Boris Diaw. Blair, with one day to go until the NBA trade deadline, says the speculation doesn't bother him.

“I’m not sweating nothing,” Blair tells the San Antonio Express-News. “If I get traded, I do. If I don’t, I don’t. I’m not mad or anything because everybody knows what I can do, given the time and opportunity. So I’m just going to keep working, keep my mind clear and not worry about all that trade talk. If my agent doesn’t tell me, or the Spurs don’t tell me, I know it’s just BS, people saying where they think I should go or what would be a good fit."

Blair's value is low because he can sign with any team beginning in July since he will be an unrestricted free agent.

Kevin Pelton
Trade targets: 'Buy-low' options

"As silly as the notion of "showcasing" players sounds, the psychological impact of the recency effect suggests it makes sense to make the last impression of a player on the block a positive one. Showcasing a bad player won't work, but feeding minutes to a trade candidate buried on the bench is perfectly sensible because most players perform better with regular playing time. Blair is a perfect example. He's been in and out of the rotation all season, which has made it difficult for him to live up to his track record of solid production in terms of points, rebounds and high-percentage shooting. Given heavy minutes the next couple of weeks, Blair easily could come up with a couple of double-doubles to tempt teams looking to shore up their frontcourt for the stretch run."

Tags:

San Antonio Spurs, DeJuan Blair
Granger's debut still a mystery
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
7:03
AM ET

Recommend0
Comments0
Email
Print

There was talk last week that Danny Granger might play for the first time this season on Wednesday when the Knicks visit the Pacers, but that's not happening.

“You can tell he hasn’t played in a long time,” Pacers head coach Frank Vogel told The Indianapolis Star on Tuesday. “He makes some plays that look like he’s All-Star Danny Granger; some plays he looks like he’s still getting back. (Returning) is about his comfort level. To come back from an injury like this you’ve got to feel comfortable with every moment you’re doing. He’s not quite there yet.”

The Pacers play back-to-back nights against Detroit on Friday and Saturday. Granger might debut in one of those games.
Tags:

Danny Granger, Indiana Pacers
Speights' future with Cavs
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
6:45
AM ET

Recommend0
Comments0
Email
Print

The odds are very strong that Marreese Speights will decline his 2013-14 $4.51 million player option and choose to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. The Cavs for this very reason are willing to accept calls regarding Speights' availability as the forward can leave for nothing in the summer.

Speights is enjoying his time with the Cavs after the trade from the Grizzlies and he has said re-signing with the club is an option he'll consider.

"I love Cleveland," Speights tells The News-Herald. "I love these fans. I love playing with these kids, these players. Whatever happens Thursday is out of my control."

There has been some speculation the Cavs would consider sending the forward to the Los Angeles Lakers to help them make the playoffs. The Cavs get the Lakers 2013 first round pick if they make the postseason, while the Suns get it if the selection is in the lottery (1-14).

Speights' agent says he and the player will wait to decide on 2013-14.

"We will evaluate our option at the end of the season," said Andy Miller.
Tags:

Cleveland Cavaliers, Marreese Speights
Something has to happen with Crawford
February, 20, 2013
Feb 20
6:15
AM ET

Recommend0
Comments0
Email
Print

That is the opinion of the Washington Examiner's Craig Stouffer, who took in the Wizards loss to the Raptors on Tuesday.

Stouffer writes: "Jordan Crawford demeanor on the bench may or may not have gone unnoticed by Wizards coach Randy Wittman during the game. But it won’t be overlooked, and more importantly, his jersey toss into the stands as he exited the game won’t be forgotten. At some level, that was a signal that Crawford is done with a team that currently doesn’t have any minutes for him. ... If he stays, do we have an Andray Blatche situation here?"

Crawford has the ability to score off the bench, but he does little else to help the Wizards. Crawford, due to his shortcomings on the floor and bad attitude, has a low trade value around the league and most teams will stay away from him.
Tags:

Washington Wizards, Jordan Crawford

Thread:

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

[ Thread ] [ Post Followup ] [ Search Forums ] [ Warriors Forum ]