Golden State Warriors Forum - Warriorsworld: Warriors Forum

[ Thread ] [ Post Followup ] [ Search Forums ] [ Warriors Forum ]
Last week 9ersnation was saying letting smith go would clear the way to extensions for bowman/goldso
User account number (aid):
69 Site Supporter
Posted by gswinsider on 2012-11-27 14:50:12

In Reply to: Alex Smith or NaVarro Bowman.....decisions decisions. posted by dontstopbelievin on 2012-11-27 14:34:48

From the linked article....
When the offseason hits, if Kaepernick has started the rest of the way, it would not surprise me to see Alex Smith demand a trade or his release. The team has control of Smith's contract, but they will not have complete control of the situation. I don't think Smith will act like a petulant five year old, but I do think he'll make his displeasure known. Troy Aikman spoke with him earlier in the week about how he would feel if he was cleared and did not start on Sunday, and Smith indicated he would be "pretty ticked."

I have to think it would take a heck of a sell job from Jim Harbaugh this offseason to convince Alex Smith to stick around if he has lost his job. And that's assuming the 49ers want to keep him around. Alex Smith's contract features a $1 million of guaranteed money. Smith is due a $7.5 million base salary if he is on the roster April 1. If they cut him before then they owe the $1 million. The cap hit in 2013 in that case would be the $1 million, plus $2 million in pro-rated bonus money from 2012. That saved money could be key in extending guys like Dashon Goldson and NaVorro Bowman if the 49ers so choose.

Thread:

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

[ Thread ] [ Post Followup ] [ Search Forums ] [ Warriors Forum ]